Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Plumbing & HVAC SEO: Our Strategies Revealed
Itching to learn the proper SEO blueprint to take your plumbing or HVAC company to the next level online?
We know and specialize in the Plumbing and HVAC industry. We know what works and what doesn’t. Our proven online marketing strategies will not only help you dominate your area, it’ll provide you with higher value customers as well.
This guide is everything you’ll need and more to rank your plumbing or HVAC website in Google’s, Bing’s, and Yahoo’s top search results. You’ll learn how to:
- Get top rankings in Google Maps & organic search results
- Get more website traffic and more plumbing and HVAC leads than ever before
- Leave your competitors in the dust and dominate your market
If you want your business to survive well into the future, your plumbing & HVAC SEO strategy should be one of your top priorities. More potential customers than you can imagine will hop on to Google and search for plumbing or HVAC companies in your area. They’ll do this before they make the decision to pick up the phone and call for help.
That’s why it’s more important than ever that you are listed at the top of Google’s search engine results homeowners begin their research process. This guide will cover everything we do when we lay out an entire SEO campaign for a plumbing or HVAC business.
Frustrated Paying for Terrible Leads?
The most common story our clients share with us is how they’ve tried “Pay Per Lead” companies like HomeAdvisor, AngiesList, Thumbtack, etc., only to find that they’re paying a ton of money for low quality leads which are aren’t exclusive to them, but being sold to their competitors as well. They’ve had enough and so should you!
STOP PAYING FOR LOW QUALITY LEADS – Our proven online marketing strategies for plumbing and HVAC companies provide high quality, EXCLUSIVE leads for our clients. Gone are the days of losing a potential sale to someone who is able to answer the phone faster than you and willing to sell their services for less than you.
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of your website traffic through organic search results.
Search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo have search results for given plumbing and HVAC keywords that users type in. Websites are then ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users.
This is why it’s so valuable to be ranked at the top of the 1st page of Google for plumbing and HVAC search queries like “HVAC companies”,”Plumbers near me”, “AC replacement”, “Emergency Plumber”, etc.
How Exactly Can SEO Help a Plumbing or HVAC Business?
- SEO for plumbing and HVAC companies can help you be competitive online for buyer search terms. Using relevant and strategically researched keywords across your website can help you rank higher in search engine results pages (SERP) for search queries like “best HVAC contractors” and “plumbers near me”. This will make users more likely to click on your website listing and see what your company is all about, resulting in far more leads over time.
- SEO not only helps with search rankings, but forces you to take a hard look at your website’s content, the services you offer on the site, and will help you create a better user experience for website visitors AND search engines.
- 4 in 5 consumers use search engines to find local information, which makes it all the more important for you invest in SEO for your plumbing or HVAC business. Being listed at the top of search results not only makes you more visible, but also makes you seem more trustworthy from a searcher’s perspective.
How Long Does SEO Take to Get Good Results?
- SEO is not an overnight game — it will often take 3 months to start to show definitive improvements depending on the competition and your website’s starting point. Between the 6-12 month mark, after all of the initial work is completed, you should start to see incredible results that will stick around. Search engines need time to understand the changes that you’re making as well as time to crawl new links and content you’ve built.
- A longer campaign will typically yield better results. Sometimes business owners can get impatient, but it’s important to remember that you’re in this for the long haul. This is why we use SEO for plumbers and HVAC as only one part of our online marketing strategy. Other methods like Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC) can start to show results almost immediately while we wait for the SEO campaign to pick up steam.
- Between the 6-9 month mark, when the plumbing and HVAC SEO campaign has really done its job, you’ll start to see results plateau. This is normal since you’re going to hit a point where you cannot increase traffic any further. This is when it becomes more important than ever to monitor your competitors, and expand your strategy’s reach so you can maintain the results you’ve achieved.
What Kind of ROI Should You Expect?
The ROI on long term plumbing or HVAC SEO services can be nothing short of incredible. With such a high value service that plumbers and HVAC companies are selling, putting thousands of dollars into SEO per month can easily be recouped by doing just a few of the extra jobs per month from these newfound plumbing and HVAC leads.
When SEO reaches its maximum effect, you should be getting 10-20x leads and jobs per month compared to what you were doing before the SEO strategy was put into place.
We typically like to see a return on investment within the first 3-6 months. From there, it’s all money back in your company’s pocket.
How to Measure Success from Your SEO Campaign
Knowing how to do plumber or HVAC search engine optimization is one thing, but you also need to be able to measure the success of your SEO campaign. We use KPIs or Key Performance Indicators to determine the effectiveness of the work that is being done. Your KPIs for your plumbing or HVAC business should align with your business goals, budget, and timeline of what is expected.
KPIs give us an idea of what’s working and what isn’t with your SEO campaign. This allows us to make adjustments month over month so we can make sure we get your strategy on the right page. Here are some of the things we measure and report on:
- Organic Search Rankings – Change over time in rankings for given plumbing or HVAC keywords
- Organic Traffic – How much traffic is coming from users clicking on your site from search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo
- New Leads – How many people are either contacting you via phone or by submitting a contact form on your website requesting more information about your services
- Time on Site/Bounce Rate – Allows us to see if visitors are engaging with your content and clicking deeper on your site or leaving immediately. This is important!
Don’t Be Invisible.
Make your plumbing or HVAC business the authority in your area online with our proven plumbing and HVAC SEO campaigns
How the Search Engine Results Work
When getting started with plumber and HVAC search engine optimization, you need to get a grasp on if your current website is showing up in Google searches for your main plumbing and HVAC keywords or not.
If you go to Google and type in the keywords that are important to your plumbing or HVAC company, does your business come up? That might be keywords like “emergency plumber your city”, “your city HVAC service”, “AC replacement”, etc.
Brainstorm some keywords on your own based upon the services that you offer and are most important to the success and profitability of your business.
Before we go even further on this subject, let’s make sure you understand the difference between which type of search result is which.
When you do a search on Google, you’re going to see three sections of listing come up:
- Paid Google Ads Listings – Google ads listings generally show up at the top of a Google search result and there can be up to 4 at the top above any other listings (you’ll see the word “ad” next to them so you know they’re a paid advertisement, although it’s very subtle). In this section, you can pay google to display ads for your business based on keywords that you select. It is referred to as pay per click, because you only pay when someone actually clicks on your listing if you’re showing.
- Google Maps Listings – Getting ranked in this 3 pack of Google maps that show in search results for local searches is hands down the biggest lead generator for all of our clients. If someone searches for “plumber in your city” or “your city air conditioning repair”, the maps section will pop up with 3 businesses that Google deems important enough to rank for those terms. These are the easiest on the eyes and display Gold stars with reviews in them. You can’t pay your way into these (Although, there now is a way we do this with our system to sneak an ad in there as well which we’ll talk about later), you have to earn placement in maps. When you’re ranking in Maps, it is an unlimited free source of traffic.
- Organic Search Listings – The organic section of Google’s search results displays underneath the maps listings for local searches. We deem these as important, but as the years have gone on these listings have been pushed further and further down the page in local search results, making them not as important as they once were. Although, if you can rank your way into the top couple spots in the organic section, you’ll definitely see some traffic. Again, these are not paid listings, and are ranked solely on Google’s search algorithms. This is where SEO comes into play.
In order to check your rankings accurately to see where you currently stand, I recommend doing the following. Go to this website for accurate search results from your location: https://www.citationbuilderpro.com/app/local-search-results-checker
Type in your city you want to rank in and the search term you want to rank for, hit “get URL” and see where you stand. It’s important to do it this way because search results can tainted by using your own internet browser since Google may favor your site if you look at it a lot because of how personalized things are. This takes away the bias and lets you see if you actually rank in Google Maps or not.
When it comes to ranking in Google, the most important thing that we focus on is if you’re showing up in Google Maps for your main search terms or not. We’d agree that 60%+ of all search traffic will come through your Google Maps listing, so having those rankings work for you are key to success.
Many people know to skip over the paid listings right to maps, so make sure you’re visible there!
Choosing Your Keywords
So which keywords are you ranking for? You need to figure out what people are searching for first.
What will people type into the Google search bar to find you? Which services are they looking for more information on?
There will always be the obvious keywords like:
- “Your city” plumbing company
- “Your city” AC repair
- “Your city” emergency plumber
The less than obvious examples are things like:
- AC replacement service
- emergency AC repair
- residential plumbing “your city”
- tankless water heater installation
- commercial plumbing companies
- best HVAC contractor
And you may want to show up for many other service keywords that a great deal of plumbing & HVAC contractors also offer like:
- slow draining sink
- HVAC service
- gas line installation
- heat pump replacement
- toilet repair
I’d recommend mapping out a list of the top 20 keywords that you think people are typing when they need your plumbing or HVAC services. Separate them out into services and sub-services. You can use our keyword page on our website again for more ideas.